Sunday, November 14, 2010

Comfort Food

We all have comfort foods - something that makes you feel better when you are feeling down, something that brings a smile to your face when you are sad, something that triggers a happy memory.

Comfort foods are different things for different people and even different foods for different situations.  And everyone has a different reason for needing their comfort foods.

For me, when I'm stressed and busy with a million things to do, I always want a Big Mac.  And for those few minutes, while I am enjoying the gooey goodness of my horribly unhealthy treat, it's like the world stops turning and nothing else matters.  My Big Mac and I could take on the world!

Earlier this week, as I was enjoying some time along at home, I suddenly needed another of my comfort foods.  Not because I was feeling down or sad, it simply took the mention of potato leek soup on Twitter for me to be wanting needing my Grandma's Homemade Cream of Potato Soup.  I pretty much dropped what I was doing to make it, because I knew that I wouldn't be settled or comforted until I'd had it.  (Fortunately, it was also almost lunch time!)

And sure enough, as soon as it was cooked and I'd filled my tummy with it's creamy goodness, I was satisfied and could easily move on to the household chores I had planned for the day.  I know that if I'd had anything else for lunch, I would have been restless and unproductive for the rest of the day.

So, on that note, I'd like to share my Grandma's Cream of Potato Soup Recipe with you.  Not only has it been a comfort food of mine since I moved out of my parents house, it was also the ONLY thing I craved when I was pregnant with Liam!  I must have made it at least once a week the winter I was pregnant and on maternity leave!

Grandma's Potato Soup

6-8 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic or garlic powder (optional)
2 large carrots
1 cup + 2 cups (approx.) of milk
salt
pepper

1)  Peel and boil potatoes.
2) While potatoes are boiling, use chop onion, carrot and garlic.  
( Nicki's note: I like to use the food processor to chop them nice and fine, but not pureed, but you can leave them chunkier if you wish.  They just take longer to cook if chunky.)
3) In a large pot, heat 1 cup of milk, onions, carrots and garlic to boiling.  Turn to low and simmer to cook veggies.
4) Drain and mash potatoes.
5) Add potatoes to milk mixture.
6) Add 2 cups of milk.  (You may want to add a little less for thicker soup or a little more for thinner soup.)
7) Add salt and pepper to taste.  And garlic powder (if not using fresh garlic).
8) Simmer for 10 minutes.
9) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Is it filling?

    I have way too many comfort foods, it's been hard work trying to avoid them while doing Losing it... but I'm trying :) This doesn't sound unhealthy though! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I find that it is nicely filling. And if you use low fat milk, I don't think that it is that unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete