Friday, January 29, 2010

The Full Moon Effect

I know that a lot of people don't think that a full moon effects people's behaviors, but I for one an a believer.


I have worked in daycare with infants and toddlers for over 10 years and can tell you without a doubt that the week surrounding a full moon (3-4 days before as well as 2-3 days after) is the busiest and most challenging of any month.  I always know before checking the calendar that the full moon is imminent - the kids get louder, they don't listen, they run as well as climb on and jump off of everything!  They are crankier and needier than usual.  The most independent of toddlers will suddenly turn into the child that needs to be carried around all day long.  (Just to make this even more of a challenge, it is usually the biggest child of the group!)  And even the most docile of children can become insanely aggressive - they suddenly hit, push, scratch and bite each other!  It is like all of the usual children have stayed home and sent their evil twins to daycare instead!


"Use your walking feet."  If I've said it once, I've said it 500 times (per day!) this week.  "Keep your feet on the floor," and "use your indoor voice," have been right up there too.  I feel that the entire week has been spent breaking up fights and keeping the children from doing things that are against the rules!  I don't think that I sat for more than 2 minutes at time all week without having to get up to deal with something!  Not that you get to spend much time sitting when caring for a large group of toddlers, but there usually are some moments of quiet time!  But not during a full moon!


I know that some of you are probably rolling your eyes at me, thinking that the "full moon effect" is just an old wives tale, but ask anyone who works with a large group of children and they will tell you that I am right, it really does make a difference!


So, even though the big, round full moon lighting up the dark night sky is often a beautiful sight to see, I really could live without it reeking havoc on my toddlers!  Thank goodness it is the weekend!  Hopefully everyone will be back to normal by Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment