Tuesday, March 30, 2010

People Never Cease to Amaze Me . . .

Usually when I say that people never cease to amaze me, it is because someone has done something incredibly stupid, but this time, it is a good thing!

Remember a few weeks ago when I blogged about the mom trying to bring her sick child to daycare?  If not, you can read about it here, No, I Won't Change The Rules For You.  Today, this same parent had to be called because her son had a fever and needed to be picked up early.  I was expecting her to be annoyed and frustrated as she usually is when things like this come up and I must admit that I was just as well pleased that I was working in the office this afternoon and wouldn't have to see her when she arrived.

As luck would have it, I needed to go up to the toddler room just as she was leaving with her son.  I felt myself tense when I heard her voice in the stairway, but there was no where for me to go to avoid her.  So I braced myself for her tyrant of complaints.  But I couldn't have been more wrong!  Despite being concerned that her son was sick, she was friendly and pleasant.  She asked me about his day, as I am his main teacher and was with him all morning.  We talked about his language development recently.  And then she apologized to me for the way she acted a couple of weeks ago.  She told me that she was just having a really bad day.  She knew that she had been out of line and rude to me.  And that she has felt bad about it ever since.

Even though I had long since gotten over her little outburst (blogging about it got a lot of the anger and frustration out of my system!) having her take the time to apologize to me today really made me feel good.  I have always felt that I have a really good rapport with this parent (which not all the staff have, as she can be difficult) I was a little worried that the rapport I had worked hard to build with this woman had been destroyed over her mistake.  I now know that she doesn't feel that I was at fault.  She values the care I give to her son on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment