Thursday, September 30, 2010

September, Please Don't Leave

Dear September

Are you sure you have to leave us tonight?  Surely you haven't been with us for 30 days already?  Time has gone by so fast.

We have had some gorgeous days and fun times together as we shared the last days of summer and first days of autumn.  We had some vacation time together, went to some fairs and concerts, visited family, and even celebrated my brother's wedding.  But there was so much more I wanted us to do together.  I wanted us to spend more time in the garden and flower beds.  I wanted to plant my fall bulbs with you.  

Sure, there were some miserable days when I didn't want to get out of bed and face the day you were throwing at me, but I thought that we were past all of that.  I thought that we were still going to do all these things together.  Most of our time was happy.  Why can't you stay a little longer to create more happy memories?

It's not that I have anything against October, who I know will take your place as soon as you are gone.  It's just that October days are cooler, darker and drearier than your September days.  Even though October brings us the family and food of Thanksgiving, beautiful fall leave, pumpkins and gourds as well as the spooky fun of Halloween, I am just not ready for you to leave.  Most of all, October brings us closer to the dreaded snow and cold of winter.

Please, September, I beg you to stay just a little longer with your warm sunny days and cool, fresh nights.  I would be very happy if you were still here when I wake up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment