Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I want to be MOMMY!!




Well, it would be if I ever got called Mommy!  

I walked into the toddler room today and was greeted by a toddler, running to me, with his arms up, yelling excitedly, "Nicki, Nicki, Nicki".  

Normally, this would thrill me, especially with it being a child who hadn't said my name before.

But not this time.  
Because it was MY child.  
My child who has been saying some version of "Daddy" for six months.
My child who is perfectly capable of saying "mom" but when he says it, really means "mine".

Yes, my child now calls me Nicki.

I expected this.  He hears the other teachers call me Nicki a hundred times a day.
I predicted this.  He hears the kids call me Nicki a million times a day.
I knew this was coming.  He even hears me refer to myself as Nicki countless times a day.
But that doesn't mean that I have to like it!

I want to be MOMMY!
I want him to tell everyone he sees in the grocery store that I am his Mommy like he does with Daddy.
I want the world to know that I am this adorable, smart little boy's mommy.
But for now, I am his Nicki.
I guess it is better than not being anything!
I know that it will past and that in time I will be Mommy.
But for now, I will be sad about it.

It is rather ironic that I am upset by this.
Normally when my toddlers learn to say my name, it is exciting!
I have never been disappointed when a child said my name for the first time before, even when they pronounce it in some unflattering way, like "Titty".
But not this toddler!
All I want him to say is "MOMMY"!







No comments:

Post a Comment